- RSS Channel Showcase 5023318
- RSS Channel Showcase 8646869
- RSS Channel Showcase 1061753
- RSS Channel Showcase 6837868
Articles on this Page
- 02/18/14--07:52: _DS 6.9 SP6 Will boo...
- 02/18/14--22:09: _DS7.5 - WinPE 4 Wil...
- 02/19/14--05:49: _Deployment Server J...
- 02/19/14--16:40: _Redeploy Image Task...
- 02/19/14--18:50: _Computer is not joi...
- 02/20/14--10:38: _Not able to install...
- 02/20/14--15:09: _Unable to use Ghost...
- 02/21/14--10:17: _What is supported?
- 02/24/14--04:56: _WinPE 4.0 Driver Co...
- 02/24/14--05:31: _DS 7.5 megasas2 sto...
- 02/24/14--07:36: _DS 7.5 HF4: Agent n...
- 02/24/14--08:00: _DS 7.5 Multicast se...
- 02/24/14--14:16: _Uninstall Deploymen...
- 02/25/14--06:56: _DS 7.5 and Dell XPS...
- 02/25/14--10:10: _Computer Setup Best...
- 02/25/14--11:53: _Best Practices for ...
- 02/26/14--08:30: _Cannot Boot to WinPE
- 02/26/14--11:04: _Computer not bootin...
- 02/27/14--09:24: _Need a bootable boo...
- 02/27/14--09:48: _Host name in predef...
- 02/18/14--07:52: DS 6.9 SP6 Will boot into WinPE 4.0 but not download .img file
- 02/18/14--22:09: DS7.5 - WinPE 4 Will Not Boot On Older Machines
- 02/19/14--05:49: Deployment Server Job fails to transition from one Job to another
- 02/19/14--16:40: Redeploy Image Task Failing after trying to update Driver Database
- 02/19/14--18:50: Computer is not joining back to the domain after the image capture
- 02/20/14--15:09: Unable to use Ghost to deploy images DS 7.1
- 02/21/14--10:17: What is supported?
- 02/24/14--04:56: WinPE 4.0 Driver Compatability
- 02/24/14--05:31: DS 7.5 megasas2 storage adapter driver validation error
- 02/24/14--07:36: DS 7.5 HF4: Agent not starting after image deployment
- 02/24/14--08:00: DS 7.5 Multicast setting question
- 02/24/14--14:16: Uninstall Deployment Solution agent from Machines.
- 02/25/14--06:56: DS 7.5 and Dell XPS 12 PXE boot via USB NIC LAN7500 device
- 02/25/14--10:10: Computer Setup Best Practices for initial image capture
- 02/26/14--08:30: Cannot Boot to WinPE
- 02/26/14--11:04: Computer not booting into PXE on image capture
- 02/27/14--09:24: Need a bootable bootworks uninstaller disk.
I'm having issue after upgrading to SP 6 and installing WinPE 4.0. I have created a WinPE 4.0 PXE configuration using the PXE configuration utility for x86 and x64. I believe I have added all of the needed NIC drivers. I can boot PC's into the WinPE 4.0 enviorment, The Altiris DAgent Service comes up the status say "Client record updated" the computer name is blank and so is the MAC address but it has information for the deployment server, interface and muticast and it all looks correct. It just sits at the screen and will not try and download the image.
We are currently still using WinPE 2.1 on a 2008 R2 server and it is still working fine. We have purchased a few HP Elitedesk 800 G1 and need to upgrade to WinPE 4.0 to be able to image them.
Please let me know if there is other information that would be helpful to solving my issue.\
Hello all - hope you can assist with this issue.
I am running DS7.5 (upgrade from 7.1). I have deployment working without issue on any of my PC models purchased in the last 4 years, but I have several older HP D530 Small Form Factor PC's that cannot be imaged as I cannot boot into a WinPE environment. I have tried booting into WinPE using x86 image via PXE and Automation Folder, but both yeild the same result.
Error code: 0x0000005D
This Symantec page details an issue with Recovery Disk, also built on WinPE 4 that describes the issue:
My issue is that the processor on HP D530 does support NX, but the BIOS from HP (latest) does not have the feature (or XD flag) available. So, I'm left with no options to boot WinPE 4 on these machines.
My thought was to possibly have a WinPE 2 image (what I had in DS7.1) that would be usable via PXE. My question is, how can I create a WinPE 2 PXE image using DS7.5?
Thank you all for the assistance on this - really need a solution.
Hi I have a strange issue,
We are planning to migrate our Altiris Deployments Server 6.9.sp2 on Windows Server 2003 SP1
to 6.9.sp6 on Windows server 2008 R2 sp1.
I have installed and configure the latter, and built a customised boot.wim file as we do not used the default created by altiris due to our tight security requirements.
I tested the pre boot automation process will a simple Job that calls another job from within it using using "On Success, Select a Job”, the following happens.
1. altiris boot to the pre-boot environment
2. the Step1 kicks of calling Step2 which fails to execute.
The subsequent error I get from the DS console is “The system cannot find the file specified” Status code 2.
To eliminate any security issues, I added a CMD/k command to the Job1 so the it stops at a dos prompt, to enable me to run some test, all was fine, I then exited out of Job1 so the it would run Job2 and it all worked. (Strange). Any Ideas.
We have been getting 100% failed Redeploy image jobs and Initial Deploy Jobs after we tried to update the Automation Folder (PEInstall and PXEConfig) and Driver Database. Anyone have any ideas how to complete a successful update of these files? I believe this is why our redeploy/upgrade image deployment jobs are failing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
We are currently using 7.1 and WIN SeRVER 2008 R2 in an WIN 7 environment.
I've got a lot of help from this forum, and I know you guys are so helpful. I'm currently having an issue with Altiris DS and want to seek a possible solution.
I tried to create and capture a master Windows 7 Pro image with Altiris DS 7.1, the job completed successfully. The problem is the computer which has the master image is not joining back to the domain after the image capture. Is there anything I was doing wrong?
Look forward to your ideas.
On a fresh install of windows 7 I am not able to install the bootworks partition. It fails at formating. I am using Deployment server 6.9 sp6 with WinPE4.0. I only have this problem when an Advanced Format hard drive is present.
We are and have been using RapiDeploy successfully for quite some time now, but are looking at upgrading to DS7.5, and have been advised the RapiDeploy is no longer supported in 7.5 (although it may still be there?) So we are attempting to move to using Ghost.
This is where the problems begin. I have created a new "Deploy Image" using the previously captured ghost image (using Altiris)
When I boot a computer into WinPE and run this task, the computer gets the task, Ghost opens, then just sits there with the about screen open, and goes no further. As per attached screen shot (capture.png)
I have also attached a sanitized version of a "ClientImageDeploy.log" from the last test client.
Now that DS 6.9 SP6 is out, going beyond SP5 MR3, what SQL versions are now supported? I see explicit reference to SQL 2005 and SQL 2012, what about 2008 r2? It seems like 2008 r2 should be supported but I would like to know for certain.
Similarly, WinPE 4.0 is supported in SP6, but no where is WinPE 3.x referenced. Is WinPE 3.x (specifically 3.1) now supported and able to be managed through the boot disk creator?
Thanks for answering my simple question!
I am in a situation where I need, some might say finally, to upgrade my PE environment from 2.1 to 4.0. The downside is the environment has a lot of older hardware models and I do have some concern about driver compatibility. I understand that Vista drivers will generally work with Windows 8, does the same hold true for WinPE? I am certain there will be exceptions but a general answer will suffice for now.
Thanks in advance!
I ran into an issue after migrating to DS 7.5 with the LSI MegaRaid Storage adapter driver 'megasas2' at the end of a Windows 2K8 R2 SOI. I cannot get this driver to work in DS 7.5, has anyone else had an issue with this driver or a similar storage driver?
-DS 7.5 HF4
-Driver added to PXE Database
-Driver added to DeployAnywhere Database
-x64 preboot environment (tried a PXE only and a PXE and Automation preboot configuration) - both same result
-Windows SOI starts, Windows expands and starts to install, at the very end of the SOI when Windows is "Completing Installation" it fails with error "Windows installation cannot continue because a required driver could not be installed".
Attached some logs and error screencap. I've had a case open for well over a month and it is being escalated to dev support. was just curious if anyone else had this issue or if it is something simple I am just missing...
Drivers are detected in the initial DriversDB scan and are located in the M:\DS_SOI\Symantec\Deployment\DRIVERS and in the M:\DS_SOI\Symantec\Deployment\DriversDB directories in the preboot prior to the windows install.
Attached cbs_unattend.log - Lines 234-267 - Drivers imported
Attached setupact.log - Lines 1475-1484 - Windows setup Failed to inject driver
Attached setuperr.log - Lines 1-2 - Same error as in setupact.log
Any help is appreciated, Our 7.1 environment had a hard fault which forced us to 7.5 (or rebuild 7.1), we choose to move to 7.5 and need this working as our admins are building any computers that use this MSM Raid adapter manually by DVD/USB driver import. I've tried just about everything i can think of from, trying the USB 3.0 workaround in the driversDB, to a CopyFile task to re-copy the files right before the SOI starts, to not using a drivers database and copying all the required drivers to the locations noted in the log files, to playing with the bypass driver validation. This is the same driver the Admins are using on the USB stick and the same driver installed on ~100+ computers already in production.
In my VM test environment I have a fresh install of 7.5 (not upgraded) on 2008 R2 and successfully completed a scripted OS install of Windows 7 on a VM client, prepped and captured an image, and pushed the image back to the client VM. The image successfully deploys and reboots into production, but the agent never starts up. If I manually start the service, it runs just fine, but obviously I need it to start on its own after deployment so the rest of my jobs can finish. Any ideas what might be causing this? So far I have tried completely re-creating my scripted OS install and re-taking the image, as well as re-building the automation environment with no change.
I think I know the answer but wanted to verify
On the multicast settings the IP Range is the network IP range that I want to enable for utilizing the multicast settings correct?
So if I am on a 10. network I would want 10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254 or something to enable it for the entire network?
Attached is the settings screen I'm referring to
I need to uninstall the Deployment Solution agent from machines (XP and WIn 7).
Is there any exe/utility avilable that i can use for clean uninstallation ?
Deployment Solution version 6.9
We have recently installed a new DS 7.5 server and we are in the process of migrating away from our DS 6.9 solution. One of the reasons for this was the prevalence of some new Dell laptops not having built-in NICs and there being no WinPE 2.1 driver support for these USB devices, at least at that time.
We have our new environment up and running, however we are getting an error message on our XPS 12 and 15 machines when they try to PXE boot, either BIOS or UEFI.
The laptop gets an IP address but reports an error message before it downloads the image via TFTP:
It does not work via Legacy either.
On another machine, a Dell OptiPlex 9020, with UEFI enabled, this machine boots correctly via its onboard NIC. If I then plug the USB NIC in once WinPE has finished loading it does get an IP address, so the adaptor is actually working.
I am building the first image right now for image capture in DS 7.5. What are the best practices to set this computer up. So far, I'm having some trouble locating documentation on this. So I am going over what I have pieced together.
1. I am creating Bootwiz images right now
2. Build computer (including software that I want in image) and update.
3. Name computer and join to domain (I’m assuming name doesn’t matter because SYSPREP will get rid of it)
4. Import AD into SMC, so that computer shows up
5. Install Agent and necessary plugins (automation folder, deployment plug-in). Would you recommend letting the SMC install the other plugins after the image is pulled down to a machine?
6. I will then SYSPREP the machine. We use a Service Account with Symantec, I’m assuming I should leave that alone? What about the local account we add to machines as a back Admin Account?
7. It looks like I'm going to run SYSPREP twice, once from the machine and then once from DS, does this effect anything or am I reading it wrong?
8. Does the SYSPREP strip the machine from the domain?
9. I have my site server set up as the image server, but I can’t find where to default the DeployAnywhere driver store to save the drivers to the site server. Is that default?
I am trying to find a best practices sheet for Installation and Settings for Altiris Deployment Solution for one of my clients. Would anyone know where to get this information?
The server is a VM running Windows 2008 R2
I was trying to capture my first image and the machine reboot, syspreps, and then boots back into windows. It will just continually reboot until it fails or I stop it. I created a boot to PXE Task to see if that would work, and again the computer reboots only into Windows. I enabled logging(level 9) and the attached file is what is in that log
This is my first try at capturing an image. I have the Proper Basic Image capture job set up (Prepare for Image Capture Task, Create Image Task, and Boot to Production Task). The computer has the Agent, Deployment Plug-in, and the Automation Folder installed. When I push the Job to the computer, it reboots and Syspreps, but then it continues to reboot into Windows and never gets into PXE. I then created a Boot to PXE task and enabled logging. I will attach the log to this. I believe I have everything set up correctly as far as Site Server setting go. i have recreated the PXE images and they look like everything is correct. I even tried to boot into the Automation Boot and it stated the drivers installed correctly, and said connection was succesful. I am at a loss to my next step.
I need a bootable disk that will uninstall the bootworks partition. I've created one through the Boot Disk Creator but all it does is boot up to a dos window and an X: drive. It doesn't unistall the partion and the BWINST.EXE is no where to be found. What step am I missing??
I just noticed that, when you try to add a predefined computer via the console interface in 7.5, you cannot use a host name starting with a number.
Is that a bug or is there any sensible reason for that I'm not aware of?
Thanks in advance!